Starting out, I had two B40 Keurig brewing systems. One was purchased, and the second was obtained on a warranty claim. I tore the malfuctioning one down in an attempt to diagnose the problem. It came down to both the controller and debris from our tap water.
I also have a 10gal freshwater aquarium I am trying to develop. One of the steps in maintaining an aquarium is water changes. And, the less stress on the tank occupants the better. So I found a new use for the original brewer. Thanks keurig. I don’t like using regular siphons. I cant always prevent it from peeing on the floor at some point.
I started by gutting everything from the brewer. Pumps, tubing, and electronics.
I ended up using the following items:
-Water pump
-Air pump
-Solenoid valve
-Power transformer
-Miscellaneous hardware such as t-fittings, splices, and a checkvalve
-Most of the available tubing

I put a small powersupply together from the transformer and some junk bin parts. The transformer is labeled at 14.5v ac, yet after the filter caps, i measured a constant 21v. Oh well. I dropped the voltage for the water pump to the 12v specd on its case. The rest runs at about 16v. The only constant duty item in there is the water pump.
Everything is wired to its own dedicated switch. Labels are in the works. A basic schematic for the tubing routing is shown below.

The finished project was mounted in a small toolbox. I left the entire the thing open for the possible future addition of a microcontroller.



Performance notes:
The pumping flow isn’t spectacular, but it can go uphill. Just as fast as my siphon. Slightly noisy. I am also searching for improvements of the pump priming procedure.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

 

The primer works by pressurizing the tank, and forcing the water in to the pump, and its feed.

The Feed is the larger line in the right front center.

The Exit line, is on the right side.

About these ads